Aylmer, which is located in the Beech Grove community, is situated on one of the last parts of the last land grant (Hughes) issued in this part of the country. Eliza Coleman Ewing inherited it by way of her mother, Mary Hughes Coleman. Its original name was “White Oak” but because the post office was located in the home, the name became Aylmer. The name is significant because it was the last post office in the area before rural delivery service commenced. The house was built circa 1780. The middle section of the house is the original structure –the two wings were added in the late 1800’s to balance its appearance. In order to enter almost any of the 11 rooms, one must go either up or down tow stair. An inside stairway is also located on each end of the house. It is an unusual story and a half house.
One particular fireplace located between two of its rooms has approximately 5,000 bricks in it and is several feet thick. Prior to 1900, the kitchen was located in the basement whereas the cook broth the meals upstairs and served them. The house also possesses a garret as opposed to an attic. Aylmer has remained in and being maintained by the same family of descent since its inception and the beginning of this country.