Major Thomas Massie built Blue Rock for his son Thomas Jr. in 1816. The house was built in the reversed fashion to Pharsalia, having one and a half story in the front with dormers, and the back wing of one story.
Blue Rock burned in 1886, surviving only Dr. Massie’s office and chimney, built apart from the main house. The subsequent owners built their new house immediately to the front of the old, actually sharing the adjacent back timbers of their new house with that of the old. They also incorporated the former office, including the rear chimney.
[gmap width=”330px” zoom=”17″ display_photos=’true’ ]