Grace Church is the youngest of the group of three Episcopal churches in the Nelson parish. Built on land given by Susan C. Withers Massie in 1885, it was consecrated in 1889. The congregation traces its ancestry to old Jonesboro Free Church, 1812. Anderson, Boyd, Clarkson, Massie, Shelton, and Withers are family names of early members.
The sanctuary was built from lumber cut near Massies Mill and Henderson’s Store. When the church was built, the stained glass rose window at the back of the church was installed, as was the bell in the cupola given by the Women’s Guild. It features handmade furnishings, and stained glass windows, which are gifts and memorials.
In August 1969, when the disastrous flood accompanying Hurricane Camille destroyed much of Massies Mill, Grace Church was seriously damaged. Repair by the congregation can community, with the assistance of the Mennonites through their disaster relief program, permitted only one Sunday of delay in services. New stained glass windows dedicated one year later include “the flood widow” which pictures Noah and the Ark and in the lower end, Grace Church in the flood.