Former members of Jonesboro Baptist Church built Oak Hill Baptist Church in 1869. The name Oak Hill was derived from the location in which the church was built; an area surrounded by oak trees. The church was first built of hewed logs. After twelve years of service in the small log building, a frame church was built from lumber brought there by the use of an oxen drawn two-wheel cart, from an area called Shelter Bottom.
In 1923, Oak Hill’s increased membership motivated them to build a larger church. The new church was built by Fulton Ligon under the leadership of Rev. William Bailey, pastor. Over the past years the church sanctuary, grounds and cemetery have been beautified.