First services in the Harmony area were in a log chapel near where Campbells Creek flows into Tye River. A survey was made of the community to see where to start a permanent site for the work. Mr. Pat Fitzgerald, a resident of the Coxes Creek area gave land a church building. In 1916, Mr. … Read more
This small church had visiting ministers mostly from Lynchburg. When transportation was more available, the church was closed and most of the members went to Mount Paran. The small wooden building is now posted. The windows are shuttered.
It was organized in 1845 and built about 100 yards south of the brick building that housed the Jonesboro Free Church. The first church was a frame building of rectangular shape. A gallery around the two sides and one end gave additional room when needed. Steps on each side led to the gallery. A door … Read more
Evergreen Christian Church is located just off Route 56 near the North Fork of the Tye River. Records do not show when the church was organized, but a minister by the name of Joshua Webb was preaching here in the 1830’s. The first building was built of hewn logs. The present building was built in … Read more
The first actual church building stood near the site of the present church. At this time, Baptists and Christians combined and formed the Union Church. Later it became the sole property of the Christian Church. The people worshipped from 1888 to 1916 when the church fell into disrepair. The Christians then purchased the “Dunkard Church.” … Read more
Grace Church is the youngest of the group of three Episcopal churches in the Nelson parish. Built on land given by Susan C. Withers Massie in 1885, it was consecrated in 1889. The congregation traces its ancestry to old Jonesboro Free Church, 1812. Anderson, Boyd, Clarkson, Massie, Shelton, and Withers are family names of early … Read more
[gmap width=”330px” zoom=”17″ display_photos=’true’ ]