Aylmer, which is located in the Beech Grove community, is situated on one of the last parts of the last land grant (Hughes) issued in this part of the country. Eliza Coleman Ewing inherited it by way of her mother, Mary Hughes Coleman. Its original name was “White Oak” but because the post office was … Read more
The Rockfish Valley encompasses the area from Brent’s Mountain and Three Ridge Mountain to Afton Mountain. It lies in the shadow of the eastern slopes of the Blue Ridge Mountain. Two hollows located near streams within the eastern slopes are named Spruce and Stoney Creek. The upper Stoney has a falls. Rockfish Valley is named … Read more
Nellysford is the largest community in the Rockfish Valley. Legend has it that a woman named Nelly drowned while trying to ford a stream nearby, hence the name Nellysford. [gmap width=”330px” zoom=”17″ display_photos=’true’ ]
It was born in 1953 out of the merging of the one and two-room schools from the communities of Tyro, Roseland, Arrington, Piney River, Greenfield, Massies Mill and Wintergreen. The School closed in 1994 and was used as a recreation center and few years later abandoned.
Bryant school educated children of Hat Creek Valley from 1921 to 1938. It was erected on property sold to Nelson County by Richard Nelson Wood and his wife Mary Bryant Wood. The deed provided that the Woods had first option to purchase it from the school district after school was closed. The school had two … Read more
Former members of Jonesboro Baptist Church built Oak Hill Baptist Church in 1869. The name Oak Hill was derived from the location in which the church was built; an area surrounded by oak trees. The church was first built of hewed logs. After twelve years of service in the small log building, a frame church … Read more
On October 1, 1869, in a building on the old Montebello Farm, local persons met to organize the Mt. Paran Baptist Church. By 1892, E.J. and Mary S. Robertson deeded a parcel of land to the church. In 1907, a new deed was made to enlarge the grounds to accommodate a cemetery and a addition … Read more
First services in the Harmony area were in a log chapel near where Campbells Creek flows into Tye River. A survey was made of the community to see where to start a permanent site for the work. Mr. Pat Fitzgerald, a resident of the Coxes Creek area gave land a church building. In 1916, Mr. … Read more
This small church had visiting ministers mostly from Lynchburg. When transportation was more available, the church was closed and most of the members went to Mount Paran. The small wooden building is now posted. The windows are shuttered.
It was organized in 1845 and built about 100 yards south of the brick building that housed the Jonesboro Free Church. The first church was a frame building of rectangular shape. A gallery around the two sides and one end gave additional room when needed. Steps on each side led to the gallery. A door … Read more